Fantasy Art for newbies – Mysterious moonlit landscape

Fantasy Art for beginners – mysterious moonlit night written by Lorelei and moved over from www.loreleiweb.com for technical reasons.

Believe it or not, but from a few ordinary photos and some primitive brushes, we will make this image (see below). OK, despite the rather impressive outcome, this is a very simple tutorial, you wont need more than a few brushes and a few pictures. Most of it is a mater of technique.

Start by creating a new canvas, 500*500 pixels, and fill it with dark blue colour, we used #060062.

Next, you need a beautiful, and preferably mysterious photo of a woman, this is what we started off with:

Copy the girl to your clipboard (Ctrl + C) and paste it (Ctrl + V) unto the blue canvas

Select the “Single Column Marquee tool” place the selection line on the edges of the picture, Press Ctrl + T to draw a line, and repeat the action from the other side as well. This is what this action will give you…

Duplicate the woman’s picture, and set BOTH layers to “Luminosity” blending option. This will turn both layers blue, as we have a blue background.
While the upper (duplicated) layer is selected, apply the Gaussian blur on it.

Select the eraser tool with a soft edge, and go over the girl’s silhouette, erasing the blurred layer from over the woman’s body. This is how it will look, but work your way with the eraser over her skirt as well.

After having finished to erase the blur over her body, this is what it will look like:

Pages: 1 2 3

• Reply Vim June 29, 2009 at 3:40 pm

really nice tutorial, really like the fantasy art, seems simple to reproduce!

• Reply pumpkincat210 June 30, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Thank you for doing this tutorial. I appreciate your time for doing these in easy steps, since i’m a beginner. The glow effect has really captured my attention and i’ll be doing this one as soon as I get some free time. I’m sure I will post it. thanks!

• Reply providence July 4, 2009 at 5:03 pm

hi thanks for the tutorial I sure learned a lot from it..

here’s my attempt

I am still trying to learn photoshop I only started using it last week so it might not be as good as the tutorial..

• Reply Kmrogers July 4, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here and very new to photoshop. Only been using it for about a week. I did two pictures. The one you have here and one for my husband. I love this tutorial although I couldn’t get the lighting effect on the wolves, here are my pictures.
    Kristy

This one I had some troubles with, not sure what happened but will definately try again.

• Reply providence July 4, 2009 at 5:04 pm

hi Kmrogers

nice one

i like the wolves

for the girl picture
    the lines between the 2 pictures are visible..

if you go to the right layer, you can erase those..

but never the less, nicely done.. im a new photoshop user as well and im loving it

• Reply Kmrogers July 4, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Thanks, Yeah I think I am addicted lol.

I see the lines, I will fix that. Also, the bottom right hand corner is in black and white. I can’t figure out why it keeps turning out that color.
    Kristy

• Reply Lorelei July 4, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Kmrogers, fantastic result! the one with the wolves is stunning!

in my opinion, in both images u skipped the part where, BEFORE colorizing teh image u have to flatten the image… did u? that is the only explanation why some parts of your image are grey (in my image some parts were grey too, therefore i had to flatten and colorize).

about the lines between the images – like providence said, take an eraser tool with soft round, preferably not too small, and go over the sharp edges to get rid of the dodgy parts.

btw, to everyone’s attention – you can use the girl’s picture, its available in HUGE resolution at liam’s stock – http://liam-stock.deviantart.com/gallery/

u can also pic other figures, his photos are all fabulous, i used his red curtain one – http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39059915/ for creating “moon eclipse”

i love your results, for 1 week with photoshop its absolutely amazing!!

• Reply providence July 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Lorelei 1 question though.
    Before I used a different picture with a white background, and when i put Luminosity and then guassian blur the picture became a bit black and not blue. What i did to get it working was copy the background you used in your tutorial and resized that and that worked.

• Reply Lorelei July 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

providence, u dont have to worry about the image been in some strange hue, it won’t be perfectly blue unless u fatten it and colorize, which is what we do in the end.

we used dark blue background, and when we applied Luminosity – it just got the same hue as the layer below, which in this case was blue. but again, it really doesnt matter, the picture can be even red all the way until the end, when u paint it to blue or any other colour of ur choice, so it shouldnt be a problem…

• Reply providence July 4, 2009 at 5:07 pm

ahh thanks for that, actually i also missed the flatten image instructions, i manually deleted the lines by using the eraser tool hehe

thanks again!

• Reply Kmrogers July 4, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Thanks Lorelei, I think I did flatten the image with the girl. I am going to start over though. I will post it as soon as I am done.
    Kristy

• Reply RuliN July 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

i’d really really like to do this, but i can’t, cause i dunno where 2 find that stupid “Single Column Marquee Tool”…. couldn’t you pls explain where 2 find that one? the tut is really nice and i’d wish 2 be able 2 make it myself…

• Reply Cinnamon July 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

This tut was the best ever so I tried to do it, here is my attempt (excuse the line – need to blend that more) :pardon:

Lorelei how did you get your grass and stars to looks so great? I tried really hard and did not even come close. :aggressive:

• Reply El_Puerto July 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

this is a very nice tutorial. but why can’t i copy and paste the picture?

• Reply mystika_d July 4, 2009 at 5:10 pm

thank for showing how to do this. It took me forever and alot of fustration, to finally get it, but it was worth it. Here’s what i made with your guidelines.

• Reply DeeJayBaDGiRL July 4, 2009 at 5:10 pm

This is a great tutorial, but for some reason I can’t get the lighting effect to work. It doesn’t show up on my layer. It tries to put it behind it and I am on the blurred layer. Any suggestions???

• Reply nganter33 July 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Hey all.

I am reatively new to working with photoshop besides just screwing around and I tried this out. I thought I would post it up for you all to see and give me advice on.

• Reply GodOfSquirrel July 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Hi,
    I’m a newbie of photoshop and i hav some noob question. Can any1 here teach me?
    wad tool u use 2 draw the grass and stars?i downlaoded the star file but how to upload it?

Reply me pls..Thx

• Reply PanDa July 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Brushes, then click the little button on the right that is a circle shape with a sort of “play” button image, go down to load brushes and find the brushes you downloaded.

• Reply Vick July 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Ok this is a bit strange. I am trying to accomplish this tutorial, however, When I add a layer or and attept to perform things like render lighting I am unable to perform such tasks. They are grayed out on the menu bar.

Can someone tell me what settings I would need to change which would make these other options available.

I am using CS2 a bit different from PS 5.5 which is what I upgraded from.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vick

• Reply Usagi July 4, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I’m also getting the problem where the lighting effects are grayed out at the bar. Only half of them work while the other half is grayed out

like Different Clouds, lighting effects and Clouds are grayed out
    while
    Fibers and Lens Flare are working

Anyone who could help?

• Reply highlyevolved8 July 4, 2009 at 5:23 pm

i am so frustrated! okay i got to the step where you erase the blur over the girl and it kept putting the background color over her, so it took me forever but i finally hit “erase to history” and it worked fine. so i do that, copy and paste the clouds, luminosity that, now i am stuck again where you use to eraser tool to erase the clouds from the girl and moon. the “erase to history button” which i had used before is gray and unclickable so now it is doing the whole background on the image thing again. how can i make it transparent? i am a photoshop n00b but i really want to learn.

thanks

• Reply Vick July 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry I couldn’t reply I was out of the country.

Ok thank you to all who have trued to help with this problem. I may not have stated this clearly in my first post but I am unable to apply a Filter>Render>Lighting Efect while using the 16 bit color mode. It is only available using 8 Bit. Is there a fix for this?

I don’t know how to attach file here so I can’t show a screen shot of what I see.

Thanks for all your efforts

Vick

• Reply vato July 4, 2009 at 6:07 pm

this was an awesome tutorial, as I am new to this (very new) I had somewhat of a success, I just couldnt figure out how to get rid of the lines when I combined the two photos, I tried the eraser with different ranges and they all still came out wierd. I tried smudge tool and all but, overall very good and it is what i needed to get me going in the right direction. I wasnt even thinking of joining the forum since I got this site off of good-tutorials, but I just had to give you guys a big thank you. Now That I see your site and see how you have detailed explanations for us true newbies I think I will stick around and learn and hopefully eventually help.

• Reply Susan August 15, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Hi this is a great tutorial, I have just completed it, and I am really pleased with the result, I am sure my granddaughter will be too when she sees the result

This is the second Tutorial I have done of yours and i reccommend them all the time

Susan

• Reply MissCoco August 27, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Excellent tutorial 😀

Voici mon résultat (je début dixième mini créa seulement, excusez mon inexpérience).

• Reply 50 Imaginative Fantasy Art Tutorials for Photoshop : Speckyboy Design Magazine September 2, 2009 at 6:34 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply Photoshop icin 50 Imaginative Fantasy Art Tutorials September 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply 50 Imaginative Fantasy Art Tutorials for Photoshop | 77even September 2, 2009 at 11:51 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply 50 Imaginative Fantasy Art Tutorials for Photoshop | huibit05.com September 3, 2009 at 10:57 am

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply 50 Imaginative Fantasy Art Tutorials for Photoshop | Ethiopian News September 4, 2009 at 10:34 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply Sezer Özkara Ki?isel Web Sitesi September 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply Photoshop Fantasy Art Tutorials October 8, 2009 at 2:47 am

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply lchild October 30, 2009 at 3:16 am

I’m so annoyed that I can’t get this to work! I am not able to erase any of the blur. What am I doing wrong???!!!

• Reply Widayad November 22, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Nice Tutorial…jakalloh..

• Reply Pedro Espinoza December 11, 2009 at 4:48 am

I think this is a wonderful tutorial…but i can not understand even i try and try…why “newbies” is included in the title…i mean if this is for newbies..then Why newbies find many dificulties in doing something so “easy”…becoming so difficult..for them???
    =O

• Reply 10 Woman Photo Artwork | JktAgusWebID December 19, 2009 at 2:48 pm

[…] Fantasy Art for Newbies […]

• Reply 50 Amazing and Useful Photoshop Photo Manipulation Tutorials | DesignBeep December 23, 2009 at 6:45 pm

[…] 47.Mysterious Moonlit Landscape […]

• Reply Achare January 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm

This is great but can some one help on how to get this brushes esply. dune brush in photoshop cs3? please

• Reply Lorelei Web Design » Design Unforgettable Fantasy Art Scene Silentio January 20, 2010 at 9:59 am

[…] success of “Plasma in a Lake“, “Fairy and Sunset Landscape“, “Mysterious moonlit landscape“, and “Sinking Moon Eclipse” (and some others)… I hadn’t much time […]

• Reply Digital Art Gallery August 8, 2010 at 7:40 am

Looking also other fantasy art

• Reply Design Unforgettable Fantasy Art Scene Silentio | November 2, 2018 at 6:11 pm