Photoshop Tutorial – Christmas Fairy Magic – Fantasy Art

This tutorial was originally published on loreleiweb.com and moved for technical reasons. After the huge success of the previous two fantasy art tutorials, i wanted to do something like that again, but different… hope you will like this one, feedback is as usually appreciated!

So, today we will make this:

Start off by making a new canvas, 500*500 pixels. The color is irrelevant as we will overlay it with a photo later.

Fish out a photo of clouds from somewhere. I used some free stock on DA, but since YOU will probably make a picture for private use, you can use almost any photo u find.

We are still gathering material. Next step is to find a nice girl we will turn to a fairy… As always I used liam-stock.deviantart.com but again, this is up to you, you may use your own photo just as well.

Select the clouds photo and paste it unto your 500*500 canvas. Then, crop the girl carefully, and paste it unto your canvas either, above the clouds, more or less in the center.

Make a new layer. Using a white color and a Brush Tool with a radius of about 250 px, make a “stamp” above the girl.

Now, just like we did in the Moon Eclipse Tutorial, using the eraser tool of almost the same size, cut most of the stamp you made, in order to leave a small, “young” moon.

Go to Layer >> Layer Styles >> Outer Glow, and add White Glow to your moon. See illustration HERE.

This is what you got so far…

Select the Clouds layer and go to Filter >> Renders >> Lightening Effect. Apply this lightening effect exactly on the place where you have your moon.

Pages: 1 2 3

• Reply Vim August 21, 2009 at 9:52 am

nice tutorial, looks really effective, these tutorials are really appreciated

• Reply Tuto August 25, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Very nice, but not really seasonal !

• Reply Pro-Designer September 9, 2009 at 1:10 am

thx for the tutorial can you put the link for the brushes and stock i will really appreciate that.

• Reply Stephen Webb September 11, 2009 at 11:36 am

An impressive tutorial, using a wide range of tools to create effects I wouldn’t have thought of previously. I wasn’t aware of the many add on brushes available for Photoshop, so I will be looking this up shortly.

Using the lightning effect on the stars is particularly impressive, as this is an area of Photoshop that I find can be very powerful, but just requires a bit of knowledge to get a decent result out of. I wasn’t aware how much adjusting individual levels can help create an atmosphere, such as in this case by reducing the red channel, and again I will be using this in the near future. Has anyone got any further methods for creating similar effects? Thanks for any tips, great article!

• Reply suhanta October 18, 2009 at 9:00 am

verygood

• Reply suhanta October 18, 2009 at 9:01 am

I learn to new idean. so I use this word.

• Reply mari October 29, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Muitooooo bom manifico..obrigado..

• Reply Martin November 4, 2009 at 11:45 am

Thank yoo for your workflow.
    It´s good for Newbies like me.

• Reply 10 Christmas Themed Photoshop Tutorials December 22, 2009 at 8:52 pm

[…] 4. Photoshop Tutorial – Christmas Fairy Magic – Fantasy Art […]

• Reply Kari June 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I stumbled across your amazing picture when looking for something for my blog. Is there any chance I could use it on my blog if I give your site credit?