Dark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy and Sunset Landscap

Dark Fantasy Art tutorial called  “Sleeping Sun” by Lorelei (me!) was originally posted on www.loreleiweb.com The tutorial remains a copyright property of Lorelei © 2009, however,  now it has moved to PSwish.com due to technical / server reasons. We invite all our LoreleiWeb community to subsribe to our feed and make sure you don’t miss any tutorial written by your favorite authors.

Despite been classed as fantasy art, this is a mere photo manipulation – make a fairy and your own mystic scenery; creating a landscape from scrap is now possible! I was inspired by the huge success of my previous fantasy art tut, which I posted in this forum last week… I got quite a few emails thanking me for it and many PS blogs featured it, so I decided to give in to repeated requests from millions of loving fans and do one more fantasy / scenery tut…

This is basically a mix of whats we call “fantasy art” and “dark/ gothic art”

I want to mention in advance that this tutorial is mostly for more experienced users, here we will need to use a lot of “hand work” and common sense; you will be working with your own images, and would need to adjust to the “needs” of your landscape.

So, lets get started… make a new canvas – 600* 400.

Fill your background layer with any dark colour, we chose to do it with blue, but you can use black as well.

Take a picture of a girl… we used this one, from Liam Stock, free photo resource.. ( http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39058232/ <– Full resolution image)

This would depend on the image you use, but try to crop the figure accurately and remove the background.

Select the cropped girl from your canvas, and paste it unto the blue fantasy canvas we will create.

Place her in the middle, not to close to the edge, as she will be our leitmotif.

Next step, you will need different photos in order to combine a landscape.

First off, a photo of a shore. We took a pic offered free by ~gladly.

Press ctrl + a to select the entire water scape, Ctrl + c to copy it, and then , when you go to the fantasy canvas – press Ctrl + V to paste it.

144 Responses

1. EXilm says:

Very nice, good job. I’m going to try this when I have time.

2. providence says:

thanks, i’ll try this later

more fantasy art tutorials pls

3. EXilm says:

I agree providence. Keep em coming

4. thagrimiestone says:

wow thank you very much, i love these kind of tutorials, stuff like this is what makes people (think) about there designs and do there own creative work, thank you again

5. mystika_d says:

this was very nice.
    i gave it a tried, but
    my pictures didn’t
    turn out as nice.

love the tut though

6. EXilm says:

@mystika_d
    Same here, but I didn’t really find any good pictures to work with.
    I’ll get back to this later when I’ve found some pictures.

7. Moderator says:

Try this gallery, the famous Liam Stock:

8. providence says:

i ended up with this

it looks different im not sure what i did wrong

• Trevor says:

I don’t know if someone answered your question, but I think you need to remember to “feather” your selection. this keeps it from having a cut-out look. you do this by using: Select>Modify>Feather (usually only 1 or 2 pixels settings)

this will make it blend into the background better. I hope this helps.

9. mystika_d says:

wow! I love that picture
    and the added shadow

10. thagrimiestone says:

^^Thank you very much to both of you

Ya i dont like “copying” tutorials exactly, i just pretty much read it over a few times, then close the page…and try to do my own design of it and see what happens… and thats what i came up with…

P.S. Thank you for the compliment to about the shadow, i thought it brought out the “realness” of the picture alot better

11. providence says:

considering that there’s only 2 of us who posted our work, you’re then referring to me. Well moderator, if you are moderating you’ll see that I copy the work first to see if I can do it, then I post my own work later. If you check the previous Fantasy Art tutorial. Considering I did this at 2am, I didnt have time to do my own. so yeah.

12. thagrimiestone says:

providence, if you read what he said , he said its the most original “So far”, which means there will probably be alot more designs and probably even better ones shown…so ya.. i wouldnt take offense to it, he didnt mean nethign bad buy it towards you or neone else…

Good luck with the next project you plan on doing

13. ocean_cruiser says:

Providence,
    Let me apologize on moderators behalf, i dont think it was ment in that way, only the words sometimes look kinda harsh….
    It was for sure not a reference to your work, which looks good also…and I think Lorelei will agree with me on that.

14. PanDa says:

Yeah it’s v.good, but isn’t the shadow at the wrong side? The light is coming from the distance and the shadow is in the opposite side to where it should be? V.creative design just wondered if it’s only me that thinks that

15. thagrimiestone says:

hmm, well i guess it could depend on the way you look at it…the sun could be really in straight but the angle of the picture it showing it from the side….or…and sun could be higher or lower also, making the shadow angle in many different ways though, lol…

i dk, i personally thought it looked cool right there..

thank you for the interest about it though, but ya, definitely just depends on the way you look at it…as you see, i never go buy what the eyes can see…

i like to “manipualte it” even more…so that sun could be anywhere in the pic, but looking at in a different angle would make the shadow also seem in a different place..

sry if i confused u, i just think differently than most people lol..

16. PanDa says:

Lol i wasn’t slating it as it’s better than what i can do i just thought i’d got the physics wrong, i’m attempting one now but can’t find good enough sources

17. smiffy says:

Since I enjoyed the other tutorial so much, I had to try this one out too.

Not quite to the same standard as the tut but I’m pleased with the end result.

18. Lasher says:

Good evening, people. I just registered because I’m in theprocess of self-learning some Photoshop and I liked this page very much. I hope to learn a bit hehe.
    So, first try at tut! the result is here http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a10…Fairy-Moon.jpg
    (I didnt want to post the full sized one here in case it was too heavy, instead I linked to it)
    So, see you all around.

19. NightHawk says:

I loved this tut this was the result i got i actually like it alot

20. ocean_cruiser says:

Wow….Nighthawk….a really stunning result!!!

And welcome here…hehe….hope to see more of your works!!

21. Moderator says:

Great result NightHawk, very mysterious. I love the colors scheme you came up with! 10/10

22. MadMike says:

Great work nighthawk…its a real good pic…here is mine

23. ocean_cruiser says:

MadMike from constanta (your sure it isnt constantza??…. )

Great outcome…well i do have a comment on the right wing.
    I would place the girl a bit more to the left so that the wing is shown a bit better,but besides that great work!!!

ps..if constantza…rumania…black sea…where you have to pay to get on the beach (at least that was 10 years ago)…

24. NightHawk says:

thanks guys i tryed hehe and this forum is really cool im glad i found it

25. The Kangarooster says:

I was just wondering;

Where might I find the picture of the sky/horizon? I can’t seem to find one that will suffice anywhere.

26. Lorelei says:

@The Kangarooster

Try…

they have tons of great pics, for personal use u can take anything…

27. ocean_cruiser says:

Kangarooster,
    Uploaded an image for you,but dont know if you find it suitable…
    Anyway its made by me and feel free to use it if you want..

28. MadMike says:

or you could might as well go to google>images and search…”sky” ocean horizont” ”clouds” ”sea”….stuff like that

29. ocean_cruiser says:

Kangarooster…..
    Looks very nice, and very sharp too….keep up the good work, hope to see more of your works!!

30. Gvinpins says:

Hm where all of you geting girls foto?
    I only can make them self, canot find any photo storage…
    Also i used diferent levels, and diferent methids, And i realy like this sun, so ty. Realy useful tut.

31. ocean_cruiser says:

Gvinpins,
    Unfortunatly we can not see your work, try uploading them here http://www.imageshack.us.

In case we can be of any assistance feel free to ask.

32. delpha.lune says:

That’s a really cool tut. I love the lighting effects, they’re haunting, and just from what was a simple white circle. Nice!

33. d4nwh1t3 says:

Hi everyone i am just starting out with Photoshop and thought i would try out this TUT!

Heres my attempt!

34. thagrimiestone says:

Props to nighthawk and Gvinpins, your results are FANTASTIC….. everyone elses I also saw are really great also…

But im my humble opinion, gvinpins has the most creativity out of all these, i like it alot,

35. Odette says:

Hi!

Here’s what I came up with, it’s not exactly the same because I wasn’t happy with the way it turned out. Basically the background landscape image had too many colours and it looked funny when I set the girl’s layer to luminosity.

I think it turned out ok.

Please any suggestions would be welcome. I’m very open to positive criticism. ^_^

36. vato says:

Another great tutorial Lorelei I must say you have a talent for capturing ideas, I will try this one also see if my daughter will like herself like this

37. PANIC! at the disco says:

Hi! I’m the newest member as of now This is what I came up with.. (that’s actually me, hehe) I really enjoyed this tutorial and I like what everyone came up with. I wasn’t able to download the brush so I just cropped wings from the internet. I hope it looks good!

38. mystika_d says:

i have a question:

how do you make the wings not transparent? I mean it looks good see through, but i want to make it look more solid…

39. El_Puerto says:

pls pls pls help me. how do i erase the background of a cropped pic? i thought i did exactly what the tutorial says. crop the picture (i’m using different pic) erase the background. but it would’t erase anything. i tried to paste the cropped picture unto the new canvas created, but the erased area is white. it is now 11:35 here. and i’m just about blind. i’m going to bed, hopefully tomorrow i get a response from any good samaritan. i would really appreciate any help. i was successful on the other tutorial.

40. CyberGoat says:

Mines not so good as pics of all of u but i only read tut and then close it….thats my artistic variation about fantasy tut

My mistakes i made:

-croped poorly
    -didnt give wings…i just dont like angels
    -took bad pictures…
    -I made enemy in my girlfriend person

Im using PS from 2 hours.
    Edit/Delete Message

41. Bluebear says:

can someone please show me how to add the wings??? I just Downloaded the brush, but i do not know how to add it to the picture..

thanks!!!

42. DemoniWaari says:

This was so great tut, that I had to register!

My try:

I played with the levels so it aint so… blue?

43. ocean_cruiser says:

DemoniWaari,
    I really like your outcome….only one little point of critic: Looks like you have done something or maybe forget something with the head of the girl….dunno, in my eyes it looks different then the rest of the image…..

But besides that little point (my personal opinion)…good job!!….hope you will share more with us!!

44. DemoniWaari says:

Hmm, maybe I did Though I dont remember doing anything special :/

45. Lorelei says:

DemoniWaari, it’s very original, i like the idea of girl with the wings holding a sword and the sun behind her… my only comment is that the image is bright. i mean real bright… aint it? maybe i have a too bright screen though..

46. pshopcslover says:

I loved this tutorial and here is my result,

47. dreamer says:

My first try at a tut here, I liked it very much…

48. jking says:

this tutorial was great! heres my attempt at creating something similiar, using a picture of myself though. i think it came out alright, i might be able to blend myself in a little better but thats another time., (also the shoreline could be better but this was the best picture i could find, otherwise the waters horizon would be further off)

heres a lighter and darker version

49. Pepekun says:

I have the competition is Cameron Diaz.

To have if you like this.

Within the Dark there is a light that shines.

50. Moderator says:

Looks great, Pepekun. The colours in the second picture are milder, like it more. Well done and keep it up!

51. Conquest says:

Hmm, dunno if the code’ll work…Well, fifth pic in photoshop. Turned out ok. I added a glow to the wings because they seemed too transparent.

52. ocean_cruiser says:

Great result (to me) Conquest…keep them coming!!!

53. Cinnamon says:

Great tut as usual Lorelei

Wow mine does not even begin to look half as good as everyone else’s. You all are so very talented. Well here is my stab at it. My question is that everytime I try to resize a photo sometimes the pixels look hazy, how can I prevent this. Do you see how it happened to the water portion.

54. Devilsh says:

First of all Lorelei u’r great! Saw this tutorial on a homepage, and decided to join this world.

Im a newb I made one of thus images too, but the part with the sun went wrong in somehow!

55. Lorelei says:

Hi Devilsh, thanks for your complement!! I absolutely love your image, it has this mysterious fog effect that no one made so far! i wouldnt say that the sun is wrong, apart from been not lit… when u applied the light spot, was it exactly on the sun, or has it gone on the waves, near the girl? (because it looks like it did). seems to me the light spot is on her left wing, not the sun…

56. Duds88 says:

I had a go too, lol. I enjoyed doing this one. Going to fid somewhere to use it.
    The symbol in the moon is a Valknut/valknot the symbol of the slain who gave their lives to Odin in Norse mythology. The girl holds a Viking sword, and with her wings resembles a Valkyrie.

Valkyries swooped down on the battle field and took the Einherjar, or fallen warriors, (only some, the bravest, were chosen) and carried them off to Valhalla, the Norse heaven.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

57. Lurnas says:

Duplicate the layer with the girl and put it under the original girl, now create a motion blur with settings of you choice in the girls center(!)
    At last reduce the occapacity (right this way? ^^) of the new layer.

Lurnas
    Edit/Delete Message

58. Bangboy says:

Looks great…really! I especially like the girl on the background…fits really good…

59. Steel says:

Well, here is my contribution..
    It’s my first “artwork” with Photoshop!

60. jumper says:

I found this tutorial and really liked it so i tried too. This is what i got, lol.
    It was my first try..maybe next time i’ll do it better, hehe.
    Feel free to comment and give me sugestions. (i had troubles with the moon ;-( ).

61. Ro-G says:

Thanks for this tutorial. I learnd alot from it.

62. Sera says:

Hi, thanks for this amazing tut! This is the first time i have really tried using photoshop and although i need alot of practice, your tut made it so much easier!
    Anyway..here’s my go…….

63. highwayman says:

I really enjoyed this tut lorelei, nice work. And great job everyone on your results. When I saw this the other day I decided to use a few aspects of it to create a football signature I was working on.

64. Em1Z says:

Oh my god, this is a very great tutorial!! It was very useful for me! Thanks…
    I was kind of searching for something like this.

65. Amroj says:

I was surfing on the net searching for inspiration and saw this lovely tut

66. alsanabell says:

67. lainess says:

i made this last week, im a newB so i followed all the steps and copy the images except for the clouds and the wings! thats all the wings i have! i really enjoyed doing this and your tutorials are so easy to follow! thnks again!

68. kitten7275 says:

This was a vary easly tutorial! I will show my pic as soon as I get it posted onto photobucket! Thanks Lorelie!

69. kitten7275 says:

Here it is! Hope you like it!

70. FinalStrand says:

nice one :O

71. Dilfill says:

heres my outcome. I didnt realy read your tut lol

72. gswrulez says:

Here’s my try at it… Its my first try at something big in photoshop, never actually learnt photoshop, only fiddled with the filters and tried to make display pictures with em, so here goes…

Damn. Its too large. It can be viewed at 147.photobucket.com/albums/f163/gswrulez/FantasyWork.jpg , though. Comments and tips and advice and stuff will be appreciated. Criticisms too, preferably constructive.

73. sanjayrana says:

REALLY LIKE UR WORK lorelei..

hey here i tried 2 work wid the same image but used a diff background…, in this the mountain , the sea ,the shore,& the small house r diff images merged.. sowy guyz the image wudnt b tht gud cause had 2 sav it wid low resolution 2 upload it…

WUD LIKE 2 HAV UR SUGGESTIONS….WID WHT I HAV DONE

74. R@ngi says:

This would have to be the best tutorial that i have found so far (i ve turened both my girls into dark fairies then used the vampire tut as well)one question though what settings colour levels should you use for a firey sunset as most of my photos are of this sort of nature. thanks again for a great tutorial nice to have one that does the whole picture

Cheers R@ngi

75. geralama says:

thanks for this tutorial, its awesome.
    im a beginner and i found this very helpful.

i gave it ago with my dog instead!
    thanks alot again

76. stormwire says:

Thanks for the brush and pic links they will come in very handy Ive never tried fantasy so I thought this would be a good tut to start with. I went with different pics but the idea is still similar…….

77. Ravenwolf says:

I did mine a few days ago but didn’t post it yet. Here it is though I’m not sure my image looks solid enough, or something…I don’t know. It probably depends on

78. sexyposh says:

wow very great tut lorelei.. i love fantasy art.. im still working out on it… hehe…

79. sexyposh says:

here it is.. i used my own pic… thanks to lorelei for this wonderful tut.. its hard tho but i made it! and i love it…

80. Sylvesterin says:

This is my try

To lazy for the fwings thou

81. tammsyshere says:

This is one popular tutorial and I can see why! I’ll try it and post my result.

82. Lorelei says:

Sylvesterin, you have incredible colors in your composition, its sooo neatly done, i absolutely love it. may i ask what clouds did u use and what seashore? jeee, how did u achieve such a colours scheme?

sexyposh, glad u liked the tut and thanks for sharing ur result! i like what u did tho i think u should crop the images more carefully, on pars like hair u can always go over the edge with eraser tool with soft edge to avoid pixelated edges…

83. tammsyshere says:

Here’s a darker version, using a black/white gradient, invert layer and three different photo filters. I love the outcome:

84. chang says:

This one i made, with a different cloud picture, and a different girl..
    she’s actually my friend..

85. WoObi says:

the tut was great, i haven’t been able to see the settings clearly.. i only saw a little image and i can’t quite finish what i’ ve started without having full knowledge of the original settings. thanks!

86. latinbutterfly says:

Loved this one. Worked with my own pictures. This is how mine came out. I am still a beginner. Bear with me please.

87. latinbutterfly says:

This is what mine came out looking like. I am new to photoshop so please be gentle with me. I hope to be awesome like you one day. Right now…you are the one pushing me to learn.

88. tallie says:

I think if you have the opacity on the wings just a little bit higher I think it will be a bit better. But I love that picture! That girl is very very pretty =)

89. gijenister says:

nice job

I really enjoyed this tut. Here is how mine came out. I think some of it could have been a bit lighter but over all I like it.:)

90. 4thhorsemen says:

this is a really cool tut. thew possibilitys of me useing actually are kinda low lol. im not much of a fairy person. but i admire the work 🙂

91. WPmaster says:

Wow amazingly done by lorelei… Keep up the good work…

92. jaybee says:

HI GUYS, I`m all new to this, been using photoshop cs3 for 3 months and ffollowing some of your tutorials, this is my rendition, comments are very necessary for me to grow,

93. azhippie says:

and my first try at an online tutorial…
    I used a pic of me taken at my Handfasting.

I love this kind of art. Thanx so much so the tuts here, they are great.
    (It looks much better as a wallpaper and not this small size though)

94. gutones says:

i dont like so much those gothic pics, but it’s nice to learn

95. plasticheedcase says:

yeah, the second one is good, but the figure wasnt cut properly, and i feel it let me down, but thanks anywhay

96. druid.priestess says:

thanks…it is people like you who have so much talent that you are not afraid to give away the world…
    I have an old adobe set about 5 years old…the whole kit. I am looking at paintshop pro, but I only have a trial…what do you suggest…should I buy a new photoshop, or would I be able to get downloads off of cnet and so forth?
    thanks for this great tutorial. I will have to attempt it. I do faerie spells and I like as much faerie grafix as I can get….thanks again, and if I get into this, I will be sure to pay you first. Love your giving nature.
    blessings

97. Elfdaughter says:

Plasticheedcase – please don’t discuss illegal operations like that on an open forum.

98. kaitenwyanis says:

all of you are the best!!! 😀

I think I in the right place to learn photoshop 😀

99. YoungBuck92 says:

is it possible to add halos or change the coloration of the clothes?

100. Nick M says:

Just joined and came across this. Nice write up. 🙂

Here is my attempt. In retrospect there are a few things I would change but o well, I’ll take it for my first shot.

PS: What host do most people use? I have webshots and photobucket and they both pretty much kill quality and color.

101. kie says:

So cool..but why I can’t make things work like this? the color doesn’t balance at all 🙁

102. horseshorses1 says:

thanx…. can i ask you on question where are you from… i mean where were you borne????….
    becouse on a picture you have there are russian words why is that…. are you from Russia or somthing….

103. delarmedia says:

Hi all….well I signed up about 10 hours ago and then took my whirl at this fabulous tutorial. I had bookmarked it about a week ago but needed some practice before diving into this one. I played around for awhile and below is my final version. Thanks so much for the instructions; the tut has inspired my mind with further visions…great, I’m already a black belt in insomnia. :big: Hahaha! Wishing you all the best,

Rob del Arsante’

Credit to: Tut by Lorelei
    *Clouds from* FreeFoto.com
    *Stock model* Liam….liam-stock.deviantart.com
    *Grunge frame* Tackybrush……tackybrush.deviantart.com

104. CINDY says:

hollla muy chevere estos tutos para crear fantasia de la nada

gracias

105. Susan says:

Thank you for publishing this, I am very new to this type of art, and I enjoyed the challange. I am pleased with my result I used all my own pictures, now I will try again in my own style. I will look out for more of your tutorials

Susan

106. Narendra.s.v says:

Great tutorial there but i wonder is that Sunset Landscape or a Sunset Landscap.?!

107. daffodils says:

nice tutorial…and easy to follow..thanks!really liked it…tried some for my pictures and it really is great!

108. CgBaran Tuts says:

Another great fantasy art work thanks

109. KO MYINT MAUNG says:

Nice but not easy and might have a good idea. I am collecting likewise lessons. Have a nice day!

110. Very good tutorial, thanks.

111. Stephen Webb says:

This is another excellent tutorial and makes use of a range of effects that are powerful but take time to master. The lighting effects tool can be used very effectively if done correctly, as in this case.

The layer tools seem to have an infinite number of uses, and the outer glow methods as illustrated here certainly show their power. Using these and combining them with other effects such as levels and shadows can create stunning results.

I would like to see more tutorials like this, may be some that concentrate on using certain tools of Photoshop. Thanks for another useful tutorial!

112. Nice tutorial! Thanks for that, tried to do it, bit harder then it looks though.

113. Im going to have a good attempt at this tonight once I have wined down. Thanks.

114. You may control all aspects of your website but there are numerous factors beyond site optimization and measurement that impact your revenue directly.New firms seemingly come out of oblivion.

115. gPLisa says:

People that would like to get good grades find a trustworthy custom writing service to order their academic essay at. The same actions I do too.

116. funny video says:

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

117. I wish i had these types of tutorial when i started with Photoshop2 6 years back! every thing is so nicely explained!

1. March 14, 2009

[…] View Tutorial […]

2. April 19, 2009

[…] Dark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy & Sunset Landscape […]

3. May 4, 2009

[…] View Tutorial […]

4. May 24, 2009

[…] Dark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy & Sunset Landscape […]

5. June 17, 2009

[…] Fantasy Art tutorials. Following the enormous success of “Plasma in a Lake“, “Fairy and Sunset Landscape“, “Mysterious moonlit landscape“, and “Sinking Moon Eclipse” (and […]

6. September 2, 2009

[…] 16. Dark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy and Sunset Landscap […]

14. October 8, 2009

[…] Fairy and Sunset Landscape […]

15. October 8, 2009

[…] 16. Dark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy and Sunset Landscap […]

16. October 26, 2009

[…] Art Photopshop Tutorial – Plasma in tDark Fantasy Art Photoshop tutorial – Fairy aTutorial: Make Perfume Commercial in PhotoshoPure Glamour – Photoshop Tutorial for Making Fantasy […]

17. December 23, 2009